Skip to main content

F4b ~~~~~notes - Mac Tutors

THANKS to everyone who responded to the earlier July 2 "request for tutors" email.
On Jul 2, 2008, at 12:14 AM, Ingram-Jim-Group-Mailings wrote:
QUESTION: Are any of you in the Williamsport area available to be "tutors" to people who are new computer users, and have Macs ??
This would usually involve going to the person's home. I'm guessing the pay rate would probably be somewhere between doing it as a volunteer and around $20 per hour (to be decided by mutual agreement).
If so: Can you send me a contact phone number that can be put on a web page ? (preferable) --
or alternately, send me an email address that you don't mind being listed on a web page (it should be different than your personal address, as Spammers can see it).
(( Keep in mind a lot of people who need tutors, cannot get on the internet or even use their email, so in my opinion, a phone number is a whole lot more useful than an email address. ))

Below is a compilation of the responses.

• I will plan on adding this information to a new page on the Susquehanna SeniorNet blog web pages (assuming the SeniorNet governing council gives me permission to do so).

• I think it's more appropriate to put this info on the SeniorNet site rather than the Cpamu site, because the "twenty-somethings" with new Macs usually have computer experience and can get themselves going. It's the "eighty-somethings" with new Macs who have never touched a computer, that might be more likely to use the tutors, and they seem to make contact with us via the SeniorNet registrar.

• I don't know if we will actually use this information, but at least we now hopefully have "something in place" if the issue ever comes up again -- the situation of a frustrated Senior, attempting to get started using their Mac, and trying to find some help.

Matt Hoppes - can you let me know if it is ok to list you, and if ok to use phone number.
Peg Lowmiller - can you let me know if it is ok to list you, and if ok to use phone number.
Dan Mason -- If you don't want your phone number listed, would you consider setting up a 2nd "public" Comcast email address, for listing on this web page ?? I don't mind giving your phone number as you requested, but I may not always be near the email, to answer in a timely manner.


---------------------------------------------------------------------------
Thanks. - Jim Ingram VMS/Land 570.322.7597
Williamsport PA Macintosh G4/OS 10.4
---------------------------------------------------------------------------
:
==========end of email ========


Responses

[ List Leading Electronics, per 7/2 phone conversation ]

On Jul 2, 2008, at 8:57 AM, Dan Mason wrote:

Hi Jim,

I'd be happy to help people trying to learn Macs, but I'd rather not have my number listed. Can I give you my number and you can tell them my number?

Dan

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~


On Jul 2, 2008, at 9:34 AM, Craig Cirelli wrote:
[off-list reply]

Hi Jim,

My rate for basic in-home services (computer setup, email setup, basic tutorials on software) is $25 per hour. I do not charge mileage or travel time for anything within 1/2 or so from Bloomsburg (which covers Williamsport).

Please feel free to put my name and phone number down, but not my email address (as you mentioned, a phone number will be more useful to these clients anyway).

Craig S. Cirelli
570.204.9903

Thanks! Take care,
craig

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

On Jul 2, 2008, at 12:12 PM, george v cohen wrote:

Jim - feel free to sign me up as a volunteer - 570-329-3917. gvcohen@comcast.net. George


~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~


On Jul 2, 2008, at 3:43 PM, Geoff Knauth wrote:
JIm,

I would be willing to do this occasionally.

You may list:

email: geoff@knauth.org
home phone: 570-326-3822

Geoff

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

On Jul 2, 2008, at 7:02 PM, Slater Harrison wrote:

Jim,



I could help people get started in video only. I’m a dummy about everything else—95% of the cpamu dialogue goes over my head.

Phone 321-7468

e-mail sharrison@jsasd.k12.pa.us

some examples of the kind of videos I do http://youtube.com/profile_videos?user=sciencetoymaker&p=r



Slater

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

On Jul 8, 2008, at 9:31 PM, Gene Winter wrote:
Jim:


I could give a hand at times I don't wont to spend every day but I could give some help. I do not know if I know enough but I can try.

Gene